(and how lame is that? my first entry for the year is a freakin' meme?)
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
A lot of things, but the best would be that I traveled abroad for the first time! I also celebrated my birthday away from my family and closest friends, also a first time.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t exactly make resolutions, because I find it kinda limiting (does that make sense?). I remember though that I gave myself 2-3 years to plan for a trip in Japan and guess what? The trip unexpectedly happened last year! (well, it's job-related but, Japan dude!)
For this year, I'm again not making any resolutions. On the other hand, last year gave me more reasons and motivations to make new dreams. I don't expect everything to come true this year, nor do I expect that all of my dreams will come true. I just want something to aspire for, and enjoy the experience as I try to reach that goal.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law; my niece is now
8 9 months old and already basking in her status as our family's princess. Not that the previous not exactly family princess is complaining.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one, but there were so many deaths in 2009 that shook me up. :(
5. What countries did you visit?
China and of course, JAPAN *hearts*
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Time and money! Also, not necessarily lacked, but I felt I was kind of gutsy in 2009 and I want to have that same gutsiness this year.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day I tendered my resignation, my birthday in China, my first day in Japan and of course, my Tokyo Dome adventure!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving to a new company; being alone in a foreign country.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to watch Arashi's concert in Tokyo :(
I can't say if this is really failure, but there were some opportunities that I missed last year. But when I think about it, if I didn't miss those opportunities, I wouldn't have experienced most of my best memories last year!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I really can't remember! Maybe not.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Arashi concert goodies!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Filipinos collectively, when we paid tribute to Cory Aquino and when we gave help and support to our countrymen devastated by the calamities last year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Ampatuan, for starters. The shameless politicians who took advantage of the calamities to advance their political mileage.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, travel, car loan :(
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Japan trip! And the slightest, minisculest chance I would bump into Arashi or Toma!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Arashi’s Still… <3>
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
The last half of the year made up for what could have been a lousy year, so yeah, happier.
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read books, travel
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work! Hahaha! Bum around
20. How did you spend Christmas?
The usual, with family, waiting for my inaanaks to pay me a visit and receive their gifts.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I fell in love with Japan!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I realized I watched a lot less TV last year because I've been busy elsewhere. My new finds last year that I really enjoyed were Leverage and Big Bang Theory.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I can't even remember what books I've read last year! I think I only read Kazuo Isiguro's Never Let Me Go last year? So that's my answer.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Greatest?! Isn't that a bit high a qualification?
Anyway, my new musical discoveries last year are Kings of Leon and Tokio Hotel (I know they've been around much longer but I seem to be far behind on what's current in the music scene!). Also, I'm not exactly fond of Lady Gaga, but I like Bad Romance so in a way, that's a musical discovery.
26. What did you want and get?
A new job! Trip to Japan!
27. What did you want and not get?
A new iPod; although it's more of me deciding to stick with my iPod until the very end :). More time in Japan as well. Gosh, I really want to go back!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Geez, I did not keep track of the films I saw last year! I'm totally biased, so Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is in my list. I also like Hurt Locker, Taken and Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist (which was released ages ago but I've only seen last year).
29. What did you do on your birth day, and how old were you?
I was in China for work, so during the day I was working, but later that night my officemates threw a party for me at the hotel. I learned how to play Texas Hold 'Em poker. To cap the night, I washed my clothes using the Chinese washing machine.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Maybe if I had more time to do other stuffs? Oh, if only I could have gotten inside Tokyo Dome and see Arashi in the flesh!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Comfort? I'm not exactly into fashion...
32. What kept you sane?
Arashi! My family and friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Need I say it again? Arashi! But most especially Sakurai Sho. Ikuta Toma. Ryan Reynolds in The Proposal. Hugh Jackman, dammit, Hugh Jackman in Wolverine. Joshua Jackson in Fringe. Sheldon in Big Bang Theory! Paul Jake of PBB <3
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The never ending battle to change the constitution, Erap's political comeback, if Korina Sanchez would someday be the First Lady OMFG. Obama swatting a fly hahaha!
35. Who did you miss?
My brother, nephew and sis-in-law in New Zealand. My friends who I haven't seen for a really long time.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I'm happy to found new friends at work! I also think that my Japanese colleague was nice. She asked me to call her by her first name and to not suffix it with -san. :)
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I've learned this a long time ago but 2009 reinforced it - just a little courage is all it takes; to go where you want, to take a chance, to change things, to make your dreams come true.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From Arashi's Still...:
This isn't goodbye, it's the beginning of many new meetings
But, I still want to see you again
Someday we'll meet again smiling, yes, I know it.
That was probably the day we set off walking, each on a different path
Until the time when we understand why we met each other
When the wheel starts to turn, the journey begin
So I'll gently embrace the past so I won't go astray again