Saturday, May 12, 2007

Vote For Me!

I feel like the odd man out here, because most of my friends are either indifferent or not registered at all, but I'm very much excited to go out and vote on Monday.

I guess I'm a lot more concerned about politics than I care to admit. I've always believed in my right to vote, even if the system has been bastardized by most of our politicians and their supporters. Maybe my being too optimistic and idealistic is bound to result to a big disappointment, but if I don't do this, if people don't exercise their rights, then how can we change the system? I figured, it might be a small step, but we've got to start somewhere, and elections are a good start.

It's like what Atticus Finch said to Jem Finch in "To Kill A Mockingbird": "...(real courage) is when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." I understand the cynicism; I am cynical, too. Politicians cheat, kill, do anything to win. And when they win, they forgot their promises, they started to pay/reward those who supported them in the elections, they cheat us of our taxes, they become corrupt and beholden to power. But I won't let that stop me from voting. Because maybe, just maybe, my vote might just count, and I might help elect a decent, responsible leader who can make a difference.

So please, make your vote count. Exercise your right. Choose wisely.

And do enjoy the long weekend! =)

No comments: