Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Desert Island Time!

Over at Livejournal, there's this feature called Writer's Block, which features one topic prompt daily, something like a one-shot meme. I like the question for yesterday and today so I'm posting it here!

Writer's Block - March 3
You're packing your bag for that magical desert island that happens to have electricity, a TV and a DVD player - what five DVDs do you take with you?


1. Lord Of The Rings trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King)
- I'm kind of cheating here because this one is worth 3 movies! I'll never tire of marathon-watching the three films, it feels so satisfying when I finish re-watching all in one day. Plus, dirty, dirty Aragorn is so appealing! (Viggo Mortensen looks hotter the dirtier he gets in his films. Wait, that sounds wrong.)

2. The Ring (Japanese version)
- When you're stuck in an island, you need to practice CONSTANT VIGILANCE! There's no better way to keep me on my wits (and keep me up all night) than the image of Sadako climbing out of that well and out of the TV screen! But if there's a well on that island, I might re-think bringing this DVD along.

(Digression: my family prefers watching TV thisclose to the screen. When I made them marathon-watch the three Ring films, all of them stayed as far away from the TV screen as possible. I might have laughed at that, if not for the fact that I was on the farthest corner of the room myself and totally freaked out when my cousin gently poked me.)

3. Air Force One
- This is such a cheesy action film, but Harrison Ford was full of charisma and very believable as the President of the United States. Plus, Gary Oldman. Fake accent. YUM. This was shown around the time Erap was still the country's President and we laughed ourselves silly imagining if Erap was in Harrison Ford's position ("Kaya ba ni Erap yan?").

4. The Wedding Singer
- I just want to grow old with Robbie Hart, knowing that he can always entertain me and sweep me off my feet with his funny yet endearing songs. His concept of money will never be not funny! ("I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where you come in.")

5. Ice Age
- I can appreciate the irony here: I'm alone in an island watching a film about how no man (or extinct animal, for that matter) is an island. :D

Runners-up: The Usual Suspects, High Fidelity, A Knight's Tale, The Dark Knight, Memento



Writer's Block - March 4
You're packing your bag for that other desert island - the one with no electricity - what 5 books do you take with you?


1. Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)
- Ha! I cheated again! This one is worth 7 books, and I could spend my entire desert island life re-reading all 7 books and not get bored by it.

2. Battle Royale (Koushun Takami)
- As much as it sucks to be stranded in an island with no electricity, at least I'm not stranded in an island and engaged in a literal battle for survival against my classmates!

3. A Long Way Down (Nick Hornby)
- A novel about 4 suicidal people should not be funny, but this book just cracks me up each time I read it! It's amazing how the author managed to make 4 losers such compelling and likable characters, flaws and all.

4. I Hate Myself And I Want To Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard (Tom Reynolds)
- I tend to like reading depressing stuffs, don't you think? Well, this book is not really that depressing. It's actually funny. What's kind of depressing to realize, though, is that the some of the songs listed are songs that I enjoy listening to.

5. Foxtrot comics (Bill Amend)
- Yey! Something not depressing! I know I can always count on my favorite fictional family and their misadventures to cheer me up and keep me company.

Runners-up: To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee), Haunted (Chuck Palahniuk), Artemis Fowl series (Eoin Colfer), Protect And Defend (Richard North Patterson), It (Stephen King)

7 comments:

jen said...

Hey, borrow ako nito: I Hate Myself And I Want To Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard (Tom Reynolds). :D

Jela said...

Surely! Ala na ko book sa yo? :)

jen said...

Yehey! Wala ka na po book sa akin. :)

Jela said...

Okay! Remind me when we see each other next. :D

k a r e n said...

I am borrowing your writer's block item for March 4th and making a list of my own five books!

I have never read any of the books you mentioned except for Harry Potter.. I am the opposite of you.. I usually end up buying "feel-good" books..

k a r e n said...

Btw, I looovvveee Ice Age too!

BUT I cannot believe you are taking The Ring with you! If I brought that with me and watched it alone in an island, I would probably kill myself with fright. I have a very vivid imagination and I might just bring Sadako to life with it. Hahaha!

Jela said...

Hi Karen!

If I can recommend a book out of the ones I mentioned, I suggest you try A Long Way Down. It's not as depressing or morbid as you would think, even if the topic is suicide, but the humor is irreverent. I want to suggest Battle Royale, but THAT one is dark!

About The Ring - hahaha! I don't know! I just love horror films even if those scare the shit out of me. :)