Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Nothing But the Truth Daw

Break from all things shallow -

I don't know what to think about "Nicole's" latest retraction. On one hand, if her statements now are true, then she was instrumental in sending an innocent man to prison and that's NEVER okay.

On the other hand, this statement:


"I can’t help but entertain doubts on whether the sequence of events in Subic last November of 2005 really occurred the way the court found them to have happened."


baffled me. How can one NOT KNOW or be unsure whether she was raped or not?

I still can't determine what part of the sworn statement bothers me. Her statements were posed as questions and that seemed odd to me.


"...if Daniel Smith wanted to rape me, why would he carry me out of the Neptune Club using the main entrance in full view of the security guard and the other sources?

"Why would the van park right in front of Neptune Club?

"If they believed that I was raped, would they have not dumped me instead in a dimly lit area along the highway going to Alaba Pier to avoid detection?

"I told the court that Daniel Smith kissed my lips and neck and held my breast inside the van. Recalling my testimony, I ask myself now how could I have remembered this if witnesses told the court that I passed out and looked unconscious when I was brought to the van by Daniel Smith. How could I have resisted his advances given this condition?

"I was so confused and the first thing that entered my mind was how would my mother and boyfriend react if they learn that I was last seen with Daniel Smith and that a condom was seen on my pants after Daniel Smith left the van?"


Were the questions rhetorical? Was she asking for some form of concurrence or assurance that she was right? Reading the statement, I can't help but think about the whole OJ Simpson "If I Did It..." controversy and that's not the kind of association you would want.

***

In other news, I FAIL. I confused Natasha Richardson for Miranda Richardson and thought the former was the one who played Rita Skeeter in the HP movies! Anyway, the news about Natasha's skiing accident was just sad. I hope for the best.

No comments: