Sunday, November 18, 2007

Lutheus


(Edited: I'm sorry, but the freakin' embed object is not working. I'll just post the picture here. The link to the site can also be found here. Try to fix the tags later. Grr.)


Isn't my dæmon such a regal creature? And I like his name, too!

Dæmons, according to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, are the physical manifestation of a person's soul. They will settle into a definite form when a child reaches a mature personality, and the form that the dæmon settles into is reflective of the person's characteristics. I don't know about being modest, humble and a leader, but I know I'm definitely inquisitive and fickle!

I've only read the first book of the trilogy but I'm not sure if I want to buy the other two (unless somebody else will buy it for me *wink*wink*). The book was well-written, the plot is a lot engaging than Eragon's, but there's something lacking with its main character. Well, I think the problem is with me, because whenever I read books like these, I tend to compare it with - what else? - Harry Potter. And Harry, in spite his faults and weaknesses, is someone I can totally relate to and empathize with, and I never have that same feeling towards Eragon or Lyra, the protagonist in the His Dark Materials trilogy.

Philip Pullman's books are not without their own share of controversies - I think there's been call to boycott the film because of its anti-Christian themes. Me? I think I'll still be watching the movie, because Lord Asriel will be played by Daniel Craig. Lord Asriel is my favorite character in the book and Daniel Craig is just handsome.

No comments: