Wednesday, August 6, 2008

No More Little Boy And Fat Man

Today is the 63rd anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. Like almost everything else that I planned to blog about, I told myself that I'm going to write something about the two World Wars, and yet it was only today that I was jolted into the realization that I have not done anything.

Anyway, I can't rely on my academic background to discuss this topic. My high school History subjects suck because the teachers glossed over a lot of the topics. (Plus the fact that I resent the way History was taught in our school; they put too much emphasis on memorizing names and dates instead of actually telling us what happened and why these events occurred. And anyway, History is a highly subjective lesson; unless you make tons of research, your perspective of history is shaped by the author of your reference books) I learned more about World War I and II by reading encyclopedias and watching National Geographic.

I don't want to discuss history, though. I won't waste my time on the whens, wheres, hows and whys because I'm certainly not an expert in history. But I often wonder whether the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a justified act. Was it the classic example of "necessary evil"?

Obviously I have not done this entry well. Cliche as this may sound, and despite my curiosity over the World Wars, I truly wish for world peace. I wish that I would never read about another genocide or another invasion. I wish that the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would be the first and the last in our history.

No comments: