Monday, June 12, 2006

Go Mavs! But What About Elliott?!


I’m supposed to wake up early to catch the NBA Finals between Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks. Damn! I’ve been waiting for the Mavs to make it to the Finals ever since I become a Dirk Nowitzki fan (okay, so I’m not as loyal to my NBA teams as I am to my PBA team, the Ginebra Gin Kings. Mostly, it depends who my favorite player is at the moment. Oh, and also to my “anybody but LA Lakers or Utah Jazz” mentality. hehehe…). It felt awful to miss the first game that’s why I was looking forward to the long holidays and catch up on my TV viewing (heck, I even thought it would air last Sunday!).

But since I was such a lazy, lazy gal, I couldn’t bring myself to wake up an hour early to see the game in its entirety. I got to catch the last few minutes of the third quarter and man, the Mavs totally pwned the Heat! The Mavs won convincingly, Shaq looked like a lost puppy with only 5 points to show, Dirk was interviewed (just want to add the fact that he never have to score more than 30 points to win both games; everybody on the team contributed! yey!), and everything was all right again in this world.

Then I just found out I missed Elliott Yamin singing the national anthem.

*cue ear-splitting scream*

Can you just imagine the unfairness of it all?!

This one time I broke away from my obsession with reading everything Elliott on the Net (to concentrate on my other obsessions) was the one time that it was mentioned he’ll be singing the national anthem? At the Mavs game? Wearing a Mavs jersey? Of Nowitzki? And I did not see it?

This one time when I felt guilt-free from oversleeping was the one time when Elliott’s finally show up on my TV again? At the Mavs game? Wearing a Mavs jersey? Of Nowitzki? And I did not see it?

How could this happen to me?!

I got no one to blame but myself. Curse me for devoting my time rearranging songs on my iPod instead of surfing the net hunting for Elliott news. Curse me for choosing this weekend to clean my room instead of checking out what my pretend BF is up to. Curse me for oversleeping when I should have been watching the NBA Finals from start to finish!

For what it’s worth, I had this nagging suspicion that Elliott might sing the national anthem at an NBA game – but not at this NBA Finals game! Just think – he’s neither from Dallas nor from Miami, he’s a big supporter of LA Lakers (so how did I know that?) which – haha! (sorry, Elliott, I couldn’t resist!) – did not make it to the Finals, and he didn’t even win the American Idol! Just what are the chances that he’ll be singing at the NBA Finals?! Well, we know how that one turned out, don’t we? I should have listened to my instincts.

Excuse me while I hunt the Net for any pic, video or MP3 of Elliott at the NBA Finals. (wait! ta da! here it is!)

No comments: