Thursday, June 22, 2006

a very geeky survey

for geeks like me who’s addicted (what else is new?) to wikipedia. (it maybe an on-line encyclopedia, but an encyclopedia nonetheless! our World Book encyclopedia set has now been officially relegated to dormant status.)

Go to wikipedia and look up your birthday (excluding the year). List three neat facts, two births and one death in your journal, including the year.

Facts

1968 - Soviet Union-dominated Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring; on the same day, Nicolae Ceauşescu, leader of Communist Romania, publicly condemns the Soviet maneuver, encouraging the Romanian population to arm itself against possible Soviet reprisals.

1987 - Hard rock band Guns N' Roses release their classic debut Appetite for Destruction.

1993 - NASA loses contact with the Mars Observer spacecraft.

Births

1535 - Shimazu Yoshihiro, Japanese samurai and warlord (d. 1619)

1936 - Wilt Chamberlain, American basketball player (d. 1999)

Death

1614 - Elizabeth Báthory, the world's most prolific female serial killer (b. 1560) (she’s not just any female serial killer, she’s not just prolific, she’s the world’s most prolific female serial killer! ha! san ka pa?)

Inx’s:

- I intentionally did not choose Ninoy Aquino’s death on my death list. well, I assume you already know this fact, not because you know Philippine history inside out but because my birthday is on the list of special holidays. (or hindi niyo na kino-consider what the holiday is for?! basta walang pasok!!!)

- I know that RX 93.1 began airing in August 1983. Whether it started airing on August 21, I’m not sure, I just assume it did!

- Surprisingly, no event, birth or death took place on August 21, 1981 – the year of my birth. Who knows, maybe someday that date will be added bearing my info – Jela, a Filipina novelist best known for her coming-of-age opus entitled (blank). hahaha! wishful thinking!

No comments: