Wednesday, July 19, 2006

JELA 101

I present 101 random, useless things about me (because I’m vain and narcissistic and self-absorbed!):

  1. I am the middle child and the only girl among five siblings. but I was never the pampered princess; on the contrary, as my mom always say, ako palagi ang balagong.
  2. I used to think I might be adopted. Seriously.
  3. I used to wish my fairy godmother would turn up one day and turn me into a boy. Seriously.
  4. I grew up, and still lived, in Tondo. I used to get am a bit defensive about this. But you can’t blame me because there are still morons out there who ask: "may mga nag-papanaan pa ba dun?" Duh. Not everyone who lives in tondo is "siga", whatever you might think of me.
  5. When I was young, my brothers used to tease me and call me "Tandang Sora" or "Choleng". I forgot why. All I remember is that I would get royally pissed off whenever they call me that. Grr.
  6. I was a bit of a war freak when I was a kid, but only with my boy friends (who naturally, wouldn’t want to make patol to me or risk incurring the wrath of my older brothers!)...
  7. But when a girl friend pulled my hair, I never found the courage to fight back. I just stood there bawling my eyes out while she locked me in a room in their house. Kawawang Jela.
  8. I also cried when two classmates of mine followed me from school to our home. I told my mom (sumbungera!) and the next day, she went to our school and my adviser scolded the boys. They never spoke to me again until I left the school.
  9. I had my first crush when I was in kindergarten (without knowing then that it was called a ‘crush’). I was attracted to him because when he cried, he didn’t sobbed noisily like some, but covered his eyes with his arms and cried silently. I told myself: "love ko siya". Hay, the innocence of young love. In my teens, I wondered whether he was gay or not. Now, he’s happily married with a kid(s?).
  10. I had my first official crush in grade 3 (meaning, I already knew what the word ‘crush’ means!). It was so pathetic how I told myself I wouldn’t get married if he was not the one I’m marrying. Unfortunately, he was also my first unrequited love. huhuhu… (Incidentally, I met him again recently. He still has his cute dimple and I still got that "kilig" feeling when he said ‘ingat ka’. yihi!)
  11. I can trace my ability to speak fast back in grade 3 when my adviser made me recite this stupid poem at a parents-teachers meeting. It was okay when I was reciting it in front of the class, but when I was ushered in front of the meeting room, I feel so embarrassed that I recited at top speed. Needless to say, my teacher was shell shocked and I was never asked to recite poems during school activities again.
  12. I skipped grade 4 and got accelerated to grade 5. Unfortunately, I had to transfer schools. One of the saddest moments of my childhood was saying goodbye to my old classmates (and to my first crush).
  13. I was the topnotcher on our high school entrance exam. But I slacked off in my studies so I didn’t maintain my scholarship. I didn’t graduate with honors either.
  14. When I was in fourth year high school, I forgot to bring my gala uniform for the first Mass of the school year. To make matters worse, I was the only one in the whole high school who was not wearing a gala uniform, and to top that, I was wearing my PE uniform! And to make matters even worst, our school principal took notice. So after the mass, I was called to the principal’s office and the principal asked me to bring my gala uniform the following day for safekeeping and to ensure that I have a gala uniform to wear for the succeeding Masses! Well, I was not planning on wearing a gala uniform for the whole school year without washing it, so I brought my old gala uniform to our principal and wore my other gala uniform during Masses. As long as I’m in the proper uniform, our principal didn’t notice that I never went to her office again to get the spare gala. (For the uninitiated, the gala uniform is a required uniform for girls in most Catholic schools. These are worn when there’s a scheduled Mass and on some special events. Ours is an all-white, long-sleeved dress with white belt and frilly ribbons on the cuffs and on the neck. It was not pretty. Unfairly, the boys don’t have gala uniform. Boo.)
  15. I never liked wearing gowns. I once threw a tantrum when I was a flower girl and refused to walk down the aisle because I didn’t like the dress I was wearing.
  16. I once stood in as a finalist of a "Little Miss Philippines" sort of beauty contest for the niece of the doctor at our daycare center. I never realized that I was only a spare until I tried to take home the trophy and the doctor refused to give it to me. I forgot what she gave me but it was a poor consolation prize after the agony of being put in a gown and make-up and standing in front of everyone while reciting: "My name is Maarteng Jela. I’m 5 years old. I live in Tondo, Manila. When I grow up, I want to be a nurse so that blah blah blah…"
  17. I am myopic. I had been in denial for so long that I don’t have a 20-20 vision until my fear of failing the CPA Board Exams forced me to wear eye glasses in review school. I started to wear contact lens about a year after that. Now, I alternately use eye glasses and contact lens because wearing contacts is tiring.
  18. I lost my first cell phone (a gift from my oldest brother) on the second day of the CPA Board Exams. I was crying while taking the test for Management Accounting. My parents bought me a new phone as an advance gift. It put a helluva lot of pressure for me to pass the board!
  19. Well, I did pass the board on my first take and almost made it to the Top 20. But I still don’t have my license! I was not issued one at the time I passed the board because I was not yet of legal age (I was 20 that time). But when I turned 21 and until now, I still haven’t got the, erm, drive to get my license. But I assure you, I am a Board Passer – just not a practitioner hahaha…
  20. I learned how to ride the bike at the age of 10.
  21. One of my earliest childhood memory was hearing the news of Ninoy Aquino’s assassination. I was 2 years old that time and it was my birthday.
  22. I had my ears pierced when I was 4 or 5 years old. I had another piercing on my left ear when I was in high school. I did it myself using a sterilized needle and lots of ice.
  23. I want to have a tattoo.
  24. I FINALLY got the chance to donate blood last April 2008.
  25. My low blood pressure is probably one of the reasons why I had fainting spells before. I fainted in our home, at a neighbor’s house, in a grocery, during CAT training. Now I am able to prevent collapsing because I can now recognize the signs of an impending fainting spell.
  26. I also had nosebleeds when I was young. It happened one time in our classroom and my teacher pulled my head so far back and put her hand on my forehead. I thought she was doing a pray over but she just put water on my head.
  27. I love chocolates but I can’t eat a bar in one seating.
  28. I find it immensely romantic when a guy kisses me on the forehead.
  29. I find it immensely romantic when a guy and I hold hands in secret.
  30. There was this three consecutive summers that I dreamt about werewolves. In my dreams, stray dogs turned into werewolves when they get wet and they spend their energies hunting me down. The dreams were so scary, and it was so weird to have those dreams only during summer.
  31. I only started eating proper pizza (meaning, pizza with pepperoni, pepper, etc.) when I was in high school. Before, the only pizza I would eat were the ones you can buy from street vendors with only cheese, ham and catsup for toppings.
  32. I have a hand sanitizer in my bag and a separate hand sanitizer, alcohol and hand soap in the office. I’m OC that way.
  33. This is the longest period that I had worn my hair long. I prefer to wear my hair long, longer than I used to back when I was still studying. I realized there are certain perks when you have long hair, like…
  34. I wear my hair in a pony tail when I’m running late or when I’m too lazy to style it.
  35. I have a mild case of claustrophobia. When riding elevators, it’s either I’m stuck in the back with my head bowed down or I’m at the front looking anywhere but the reflection of the crowded lift on the door.
  36. I wanted to be a nurse, then a doctor, then a writer, then an engineer and finally, a doctor. I wanted to take up Biology in college but my parents dissuaded me.
  37. I took up Commerce because most of my friends enrolled there. I initially chose Information Systems Management for my major but realized that I enjoy my Accounting subjects so I majored in Accountancy instead.
  38. My fascination with Law started after reading a Perry Mason novel (I had also persuaded at least two of my friends to read those novels). A lot of people encouraged me to go to Law school but I was too coward to do it. Well, last year I finally found the courage to apply to a Law school.
  39. On my panel interview for UP Law School, I was asked "why should we not accept you?" and I answered, "because I do not want this as much as the other applicants". I figured, no one in their right minds would accept me after that stupid answer. About three weeks later, I received a letter informing me of my enrollment schedule. I did not enroll. Well, what I said true, I did not want it that much.
  40. I never took any other college entrance exams other than UST’s because I was too proud to ask money for examination fee from my parents.
  41. On my first year in college, out of exasperation over UST’s performance in the UAAP seniors basketball, I’ve taken into wearing a jacket in the color of the team that had beaten UST. (Actually, it was only 3 jackets that my brothers happened to own: Green (La Salle), Blue (Ateneo) and Green and Yellow (FEU)) (I think UST lost also to other teams but I don’t have jackets in their colors!). Most of my classmates detested me for it.
  42. I walked out of my first job along with two of my officemates. We didn’t report for work one day without advising our boss and then tendered our resignation the following day. We’ve had enough of our boss’ (and some officemates’) arrogant and asshole-y attitudes. It was one of the most liberating decisions I’ve ever made. Less than a year later, a manager from that company called me and offered to hire me as Management Trainee, with guarantee that I’ll be an Accounting Supervisor after the training period. I declined the offer telling her I won’t work again for that jerk (of course I never said the "jerk" word!).
  43. I had my first godchild when I was in first year high school.
  44. I am left-handed. When I was still studying, I sort of felt discriminated at because of it. The normal school chair is designed for right-handed people and I had to do a lot of squirming in my seat to find that comfortable writing position. This is probably the reason why I squirm a lot in my seat even when I’m not writing. (Not to mention that I get lots of smudges in my left hand since I’m dragging it towards right and therefore touches the areas that I’ve just written on.)
  45. Unless I put tons of effort into it, my penmanship sucks.
  46. I’m lousy when it comes to taking down notes. I hate writing business letters and minutes of the meeting.
  47. I’m better at research. I love going to the library. Before the UST library had a (sort of) computerized book search, I enjoyed searching for books the old way (using card catalog). Now I do research through google and wikipedia.
  48. I am forgetful. I remember information that have no use to anybody.
  49. I used to draw a lot when I was young. I even tried selling some of my drawings to my neighbors. Now I can no longer draw decently. There’s not much difference from my drawing of a horse and that of a dog.
  50. I can’t draw a perfect straight line even if you put a gun on my head.
  51. I vandalized school chairs.
  52. I once threw a towel from the fifth floor to the high school grounds because its owner (my classmate) annoyed me.
  53. I like playing in the rain but I haven't done this for the longest time.
  54. I had a ridiculous bet in college with my friends that this guy I had a huge crush on didn’t have a crush on me! Well, I lost that bet. Ain’t life grand?
  55. I had my first kiss because I lose a bet with my (then)BF. I seem to lose bets when the consequences are favorable to me hahaha!
  56. I am awful at telling jokes. I make people laugh without really meaning to.
  57. I won’t go to a dirty public restrooms even if my bladder’s about to burst.
  58. I used to get jealous of my eldest brother’s girlfriends. Of course, I never told him that.
  59. I read in advance my English and Literature school books.
  60. I almost had the glossaries of my Grade 5 and 6 Science books memorized. It wasn’t required, of course, but I just like reading those books because Science was my favorite subject then.
  61. I usually go by the name of ‘Ana’ when ordering requires that I leave my name. I still don’t quite understand how some had trouble with ‘Jela’. I get a lot of Shella, Sheila, Gina, and even names that aren’t even remotely same-sounding with my name!
  62. I like foot massage better than body massage.
  63. I was told I have so many facial expressions and that I roll my eyes far too much.
  64. I used to be a slasher (although I never intended to kill myself, I just want to inflict pain) For a short time, I was also bulimic. But don’t worry, that part of my life is definitely, thankfully over.
  65. You can almost always tell if I like a person or not.
  66. I once got lost on my way to home from school (and how lame was that? I had been taking that route for 8 years!). I was under one of my spaced out spell, and when I alighted from the jeep, instead of turning left, I took a right and walk for about two blocks before realizing I was in strange land.
  67. I don’t have a single mole on my face.
  68. I have lots of freckles. Some disappear after summer, but some I had for as long as I can remember. I even have a freckle on my right knee.
  69. I used to be a loose-shirt-and-jeans gal. I didn’t even wear baby tees until fourth year high school.
  70. My tolerance for alcoholic drinks is abysmally low. I plan to change that this year. hahaha. (Hey, what’s wrong with wanting to drink just one bottle of San Mig Light without puking? It isn’t too much to ask, right?)
  71. I should have at least two pillows within my reach before I can fall asleep. I sleep with the lights on.
  72. I develop allergies due to prolonged exposure to the sun.
  73. When in doubt, I walk.
  74. I usually like songs either when it’s no longer a hit or before it is released as a single (if at all). I’m not really that updated when it comes to current radio or MTV hits.
  75. I used to listen to NU 107 or LA 105 when I study. I find the music they play less distracting than the music I hear on pop stations.
  76. I can’t seem to cry when the situation calls for it. I cry at the most inopportune time.
  77. Contrary to what most people might think about me, I want to, and I think I can, live a simple life in the province.
  78. I don’t curse a lot – except when watching basketball. Even a kanto boy would be ashamed to be on the same room with me.
  79. I am not a demonstrative person. I get uncomfortable when someone hugs me and I don’t recall saying "I love you" out loud or that often to anyone.
  80. I used to want to have my own child but not a husband.
  81. Kate Hudson is the only woman I find myself remotely attracted to. Apparently, my intense desire to become a guy doesn’t carry with it any desire for the female species.
  82. There was this person I disliked at first sight. I still dislike her after 13 years.
  83. There was this guy who told his friends that I was his girlfriend. I wanted to annihilate him.
  84. My youngest brother wouldn’t believe that the cutest guy in the neighborhood courted me before (and that I had the guts to turn him down). Bro, that’s what you call animal magnetism!
  85. I once wrote the names of all my crushes in an index card and one of my aunt saw it. I burned the list and promised myself never to write down the names of my crushes again.
  86. I pride myself for coming up with the most complicated code names for my crushes: Oscar the Grouch, Tito Paeng, Shaider (well, this one not much), RC Cola, Rayban, Doctor Y, Hedrian. Try guessing who these are!
  87. I was once a "searchee" in a dating show during our town fiesta. I purposely did not give the "right" answers so I won’t get selected. Unfortunately, the "searcher" picked me. I refused to be kissed even on the cheek. Duh. You can’t buy my kiss for 50 bucks and a single stem of rose!
  88. A distant relative tried to court me. I told my mom and she talked to the guy herself (I told you, sumbungera talaga ako!). Another relative tried to set me up with his son (who, technically, is my nephew). I got fever the following day. Nausog daw ako nung pinsan ‘kong nangrereto.
  89. "I’m practicing your name so I can say it to your face…" (Sway, Bic Runga) – this line perfectly applies to me! For a time, I couldn’t say my (then)BF’s name to his face. I always call him "uy!" to get his attention.
  90. It had been my dearest ambition to join the UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe.
  91. It had been my dearest ambition to do the "I’ve Had The Time of My Life" dance sequence in "Dirty Dancing".
  92. It had been my dearest ambition to marry any guy surnamed "Hizon".
  93. I used to idolize Aiko Melendez.
  94. I often blurt our non-sequiturs.
  95. I want to find out what my Patronus would be and what I would see if I stand in front of the Mirror of Erised.
  96. I was once a member of our high school choir. Honest! I don’t know whatever happened to my singing voice (or whether my stint in the choir was just a fluke!).
  97. I discovered my, ehem, (miniscule) talent for writing accidentally. When I was in grade 6, I applied for our school organ only because most of my classmates did. Initially, I was rejected because my handwriting was sloppy (I had lots of erasures and strikeouts on the essay I submitted). But they were short of one writer so the adviser grudgingly accepted me. I was supposed to write for the Editorial section but the adviser told me I can’t write editorials to save my life so I was shipped to the Features and Literary section. I was the school representative to the District Poetry Writing contest by default. It was the first time I wrote a poem in my life and I was expected to compete immediately? Lucky for me, I won the contest and got more confident of my writing abilities…
  98. …until I tried to apply for our high school newsletter and read the published works of my classmates and schoolmates. It was a shock, to say the least, to realized that they were already writing poems about love and friendship and life when I was still stuck writing about rain and trees and schools (my winning piece on the Poetry Writing contest, by the way, was about rain and had lines such as " see the children jumping with glee, with raindrops they feel happy…" shameful.). I was still writing in rhyming quatrains while most of them had discovered free verse. My ego was severely deflated that I never applied for our school organ anymore.
  99. I wrote my first love poem in third year high school. Since then, I started writing again, but only for my personal enjoyment (and sometimes, for the readers of my blogs as well! Yuck! Enjoy nga ba?! Hahaha.)
  100. I like seating with my feet tucked under – even if I will have that painful and uncomfortable ‘pins and needles’ sensation afterwards.
  101. Some of my daydreams consist of creating a video in my head of the song I am listening to at the moment (complete with plot, setting, camera angles, the works).
  102. (Extra!) I’m all of these and more! But despite what you see here, I’m a very private person. There are still certain things about me that I choose to tell only to my closest friends, and there are also things about me that I choose to just keep to myself.

No comments: