Monday, July 3, 2006

A Morning Kiss

I woke up to your kiss and the soft patter of rain against the roof. I kissed you back, we hugged, we laughed

and I said “I love you”

and you took my hand and pulled me outside. And the rain kissed our face and the grass felt soft on my feet. And I rested my head on your shoulder, on the space that was my shelter and my hiding place and it made me feel safe and warm all over. And you started tickling me because you had always loved the sound of my laughter. And I would put this mock make-face because you irritated me but you always knew I am just trying to catch your attention. And you would laugh and laugh and tickle me more and chase me around the house

and it all felt so good, so tender, so alive!

Every morning was like that. Every morning was a gift, every morning that I wake to your presence gave me reason to live.


I woke up to the kiss of the sunlight on my face and the silent tears from last night. I kissed the frame of my memories, I cried, I prayed

and I said “I love you”

as if you could still hear me. And I tried to laugh so many times so that you could hear it, too, but the sound died on my lips, slain by the inescapable cry of my soul. And the sky is crying with me as I searched for that space, my shelter. And I felt your ghostly presence but it wasn’t enough, it was never enough. And the room felt so enormous yet it suffocated me

and it all felt so quiet, so cruel, so empty!

and every morning I await for the gift that someday would be mine, the gift that would take me to endless mornings and sunny days and rainy days. To the place where you are waiting for me. And then we’ll kiss, we’ll hug, we’ll laugh

and I will say “I love you”.

No comments: