Monday, July 3, 2006

Why I Am A Bad Person

So Manny Pacquiao won. You know what, I half wished he would lose, just so I can see ABS-CBN struggle with forced humility.

You’ll probably say I’m unpatriotic. But if you know me, you would know that I had been a big supporter of Pacquiao, of our athletes, and I had been as proud as everyone else in their victories and as saddened as everyone else in their defeats.

I just hate this affair, this commodifying (is that a word?) of Pacquiao, this milking of profits in the guise of nationalistic pride.

Ang yabang yabang ng ABS-CBN. But if you had only a few things to be proud of, I guess the natural tendency for some is to rub it in to everyone else.

So you have the rights to air his fight, big deal. But I don’t need to see every talent of your station greet Pacquiao on his victory on a show biz talk show program. Stars congratulating the people’s champ does not make his victory more special, it only trivializes his achievements.

Why do I even bother? Like you give a shit to whatever I say.

No comments: