Sunday, February 1, 2009

14 Days To Love - Day 1

Geoffrey Chaucer: There she is, William. The embodiment of love. Your Venus.

William Thatcher: And how I hate her.

A KNIGHT'S TALE (2001)






Notes:

I did not promise romantic, okay? But hey, this IS romantic. Funny, too.

At first I wanted to quote William's "My dearest Jocelyn" letter, but after rewatching this movie, I decided the dialogue above is more awesome.

William Thatcher (Heath Ledger) is a con-knight and Jocelyn (Shannyn Sossamon) is his strong-willed damsel. He tried to impress her by vowing to win the jousting tournament for her. She challenged him to LOSE the tournament, instead, to prove his love.

To the surprise and horror of his loyal band, he voluntarily lose his first match. Jocelyn then requested that if he really loves her, he will NOT LOSE any more matches. Hence, the lines above!

For me, the way William said "And how I hate her" is romantic precisely because he doesn't really hate HATE her. It's merely frustration that he got caught in her spell and that she knew it and knew how to use it to her advantage. And face it - women can be hard to understand sometimes, and men in love are only too willing to go with what will make their ladies happy.

No comments: