Thursday, November 9, 2006

Commitment-Phobic Much?

Thursday morning and I had this really weird and hilarious dream. (Thursday morning meaning, I woke up around 5am, decided to sleep for another 45 minutes or so and dreamt the dream.)


In my dream, I was strolling in Greenbelt with my cousin and we saw this old crush of mine - na itatago natin sa pangalang JR (pretend na lang kayo na pseudonym yun!).

Quick story: JR is a childhood friend that I liked but, for some reason, I can’t imagine being in a relationship with him. It so happen that he liked me, too, but distance and his inconsistency prevented us from going beyond the ligawan stage. (plus my reservations) (plus the fact that when he courted me during the time when I really liked him, I’m still not allowed to have a BF) (plus, when he came back when I’m of age, I’m already with someone else. shame, isn’t it?) And then, after we had reestablished communication recently, he disappeared again from my life.

So aaaanyway, back to the dream:

When we saw him, I got really tensed and told my cousin that we should move and hide from him. My cousin called him instead! So he joined us and surprised me by apologizing for being gone for so long (true to life?!). But here’s the funny part: he told me that he’s truly sorry, but I shouldn't worry because he hasn’t forgotten what he promised me a few months ago, when he gave me a promise ring (WTF?!). (This only happened in the dream ha, just so we're clear.) So, next month he’s going to give me what he had promised: a commitment ring. I repeat: A. Commitment. Ring. Did I say that my dream was totally weird?

(And what the hell is a commitment ring? Is that different from an engagement ring? And why the hell do I even have a promise ring? Parang artista di ba?)

So my dream self panicked (with my cousin inexplicably disappearing from this dream scene) and said that there’s no need for him to fulfill his promise. But he insisted and that’s when I ran away! The next scene I found my dream self talking to the legal counsel of one of my client banks (no kidding) and asking for her opinion if commitment rings are enforceable in court (the hell?!). She told me that it is not, but before I can even breathe a sigh of relief, I saw JR searching for me! So I told the legal counsel that we should hide. While hiding, I saw that JR had his celfone out and I blurted out, “naku hindi ko na-silent ang fone ko!” (side comment ni Jen nung kinuwento ko: “silent lang talaga ha! Di pa in-off!) I think JR heard what I said because he went straight to where we are hiding. The weird thing is that he only saw the legal counsel and proceeded to argue with her, saying that she can’t trick him and that he knew his rights. My dream self, on the other hand, is still wandering outside looking for a place to hide and trying to call my friends to help me…

And that’s when I woke up wondering why in hell am I having these dreams…

Which prompted Ketz to say, after my narrative: “Alam mo takot ka kasi sa commitment eh!”

Who, me? Afraid of commitment? That’s not true!

Or is that what my subconscious was trying to tell me? Watda???!!

No comments: