Monday, November 20, 2006

Para Sa 'Yo Ang Laban Na 'To (Eek...)

Congrats to Manny Pacquiao for conquering Eric Morales in the third round of the last chapter of their epic trilogy. I must admit that I lost some of the awe I have for Pacquiao due to recent events in his life (i.e. his ‘budding’ singing career and political aspirations) but his boxing prowess cannot be denied and for this, I salute him.

The fight was too short but freakin’ action-packed! It hurts to see Morales lose that way. And he’s such a hot Latino! Also - Rey Misterio? Awesome in his coat and mask!

Because I got impatient over the loooong commercial breaks, I turned to the Internet and search for websites that featured blow by blow account of the fight. I got excited when I stumbled upon this site that is actually streaming a video of the fight! But my joy was short-lived as our PC hanged up on me! After restarting, I tried reconnecting to the site but it seem other people had discovered the site and I can no longer access the live streaming. But dammit I want to know what’s happening as it happens and I don’t want to wait for the goddamn super delayed telecast! The solution was to be content with the blow-by-blow account at a certain boxing on-line forum and the posters there did not disappoint. They were very religious in giving updates. But the usual skeptic in me couldn’t resist double checking what they had posted, especially when they posted that Morales went down on Round 2 (Round 2 pa lang?). I had to ask whether he was really knocked down or it was just a slip. Well, we all know how the fight turned out, don't we?

Still, reading and seeing the action for yourself are never the same thing, so I still tuned in to the telecast even if I already know the results. But it's not easy blocking out some of the garbage comments the commentators are making, like: "As Morales seats there contemplating what do with his life..." (paraphrase). Excuse me, but when did commentators become prolific and dramatic mind readers?

But for me, the best quote of the day is from a poster in the forum:

“Manny Pacquiao is the Tasmanian devil. And his English is getting better, too.”

Right on, dude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually caught the fight live -- on radio. DZMM to be exact :D