Friday, October 20, 2006

This Is A Story Of A Girl...


“You have a horrible sense of time, did you know that?”


“Sige na, kid. This won’t take long, I promise.”

“Why couldn’t you have told me about this earlier? At school? At the jeep? While we’re eating lugaw?! How important is your kwento ba that it can’t wait until tomorrow?! Koi, madaling araw na kaya? I have a graded recitation tomorrow. If Nanay sees me on the phone…”

“Will you shut up first so that I can finish my story?”

Sigh. I’m not entirely sure I want to hear this story. “Fine. Fire away.”

“Kid, I can always count on you to be honest with me, right?”

Grunt.

“Okay. Do you think Julia really likes me?”

“Julia? Who the hell is Julia?” As if I don’t already know who Julia is.

“Apple. Do you think Apple really likes me?”

“Oh, so now you’re on real first name basis already? Does she call you Francis now? Don’t worry, you’ll always be Kiko to me.”

“Will you stop with your side comments? I’m serious, kid. I don’t know what to do about this. I haven't thought of anything but her. I haven’t felt this way since…”

What in heaven’s name is that?! “Haven’t felt this way since…? Who are you kidding? You never had a girlfriend before!”

“No, kid. You see, back in high school…”

“Wait a minute! You mean to tell me you had a girlfriend back then and you never told me?! When did this happen?!!

“Ssh, kid, let me…”

“Don’t shush me! Wait, I know. I bet it was in second year when we had that nasty fight and you spent a lot of time with Carole…”

“No! Carole’s not my type, she’s…”

“Yeah right. Okay, it was in third year when you hang out with Mike’s group. They had really corrupted you…”

“Hey! I distinctly remember you swooning over Mike’s ‘mysterious eyes’…”

Did he have to remind me of that?! “That was before he two timed Michelle with Melai…”

“Whatever Michelle told you back then is not true…”

“Fine. So tell me about that precious anonymous girlfriend of yours in high school who’s so significant you couldn’t even tell your best friend who she is…”

“Baby…”

“Don’t call me that!”

“I have the better right to call you baby than your moron boyfriend Christian…”

"For the last time he is not my boyfriend!”

“And why do you let him call you “baby”?!”

“None of your business.”

"Oy! So now you're not my business?!”

Shit. “Well, it feels good to be called something special…”

“I call you ‘kid’. Isn’t that special enough?”

My God. Why can’t we ever have a normal conversation? “You know what? I want to go to sleep now. I don’t want to discuss anymore anything about Ju-li-a or that first girlfriend of yours…”

“Hey kid! You’re the one who started this!”

The nerve! “I started this?! You’re the one who called me in the first place!”

“Fine, I give up!”

“Fine.”

“Why do you have to be so stubborn?!”

“Why did you keep secrets from me?”

“I’m truly sorry I ever had this conversation with you. Go prepare for your recitation. Don’t stay up too late. Night, kid.”

How dare he hang up on me! I’ll never ever speak to him again. I’ll have him banned from this house. I hope he got injured on his game tomorrow. I hope Apple dump him big time. What did he ever see on that girl?! Stupid people!

to be continued…

(my attempt at writing a short story after a long time. wholly unedited version of this fictional conversation going through my mind. I’m not exactly sure where I want this story to go or if I can really follow through. I don’t even have a name yet for my protagonist! hope you like it. =p)

2 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

You know how tickled I was to be able to understand the Taglog? Yeah, I'm super duper.

:)

Jela said...

hey thanks for dropping by!

uh, i really don't know what to make about your comment about being able to understand the Tagalog. sorry! are you being sarcastic about it? but i don't mind if you are. =)