I’ve been giving Powerbooks and National Bookstore (or any store that sells books) the wide berth these days.
Not that I had been banned from these stores (although if I have my way, I’ll probably ask the owners myself to ban me) but I just can’t fight the mad impulse to buy, buy, buy books!
Not that buying and reading books is bad in itself, but I still have 3 books I haven’t read yet (not to mention another 3 that I haven’t really finished, and about a dozen more I want to re-read!) and I think it’s very greedy of me to buy more books I won’t be reading anyway (at the moment at least). Add to that the fact that I don’t grow money on trees and have my budget to consider.
So yeah, it kind of makes me sad that I can’t visit my favorite stores without undergoing serious battle with self-control. Oh, okay, I did went to Powerbooks last Friday but you would be proud of me because I had not bought a single book! Of course, a visit to the store means I had expanded again my list of books to buy. So far, here are the top 20 books (and I had to limit the list to 20!) that I want, want, want:
- Artemis Fowl and The Lost Colony - Eoin Colfer
- Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever - James Patterson
- War Of The Words [Thursday Next series book 5] - Jasper Fforde
- Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
- The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
- Ordinary Heroes - Scott Turow
- The Innocent Man [A True Story] - John Grisham
- Porno - Irvine Welsh
- High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
- The Lovely Bones - Alice Siebold
- Half Moon Investigations – Eoin Colfer
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment – James Patterson
- Eldest – Christopher Paolini
- The Fourth Bear – Jasper Fforde
Haunted – Chuck Palahniuk
- Lullaby – Chuck Palahniuk
The Fifth Horseman – James Patterson
- The Poe Shadow – Matthew Pearl
- Life of Pi – Yann Martel
- American Gods – Neil Galman
- The Templar Legacy – Steve Berry
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanne Clarke
- Foucault’s Pendulum – Umberto Eco
- The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby
- Einstein’s Dreams – Alan Lightman
I Hate Myself And I Want To Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You’ve Ever Heard – Tom Reynolds
- If Harry Potter Run General Electric – Tom Morris
- Heavier Than Heaven - Charles Cross
Not included here are the rest of the Foxtrot comic compilations and treasuries I want to buy (the only thing preventing me from completing my collection is the fact that not all the compilations are available here). So far, I have this and this and this and this and this and this!
So maybe I’m way too addicted to books. But I’d like to believe (or convince myself) that this is one healthy obsession. You think?
(And now I was told that Powerbooks is on a month-long sale [and so is National Bookstore]. Blast!)