Saturday, September 16, 2006

Jumping The Shark The Philippine Idol Way

Okay, it’s official: I’m so turned off by Philippine Idol.

I don’t question the talent of the contestants [excepting a few…]. What I can’t get is why they have to rely so much on sob stories. I watch Philippine Idol to hear good music from undiscovered talents. If I want to cry, I would watch telenovelas [on second thought, not really. Our telenovelas only make me snort with derision]. Philippine Idol is no longer different with those stupid game shows where contestants beg, plead, and do all those stupid things just to win because it’s their ticket to the good life. I don’t know if Francis M was sarcastic or not, but I agree with him when he said that if the contestants want to get rich, they should join Laban or Bawi.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to have better things for your life, and for doing anything in your power to achieve your dreams. It just feels icky to hear these contestants utter “I NEED this so you better vote for me or what kind of human being are you for not taking pity of me?” Of course, they never said as much, but that’s what I hear behind all those bawling and sobbing.

Sure, it’s the voting public that will determine the winner of this thing, but dear contestants: your future is not in their hands. It's yours to make.

No comments: